Sunday, January 23, 2011

fun in the sun

What a glorious week it's been! I loovvvvveee sunny summer days - I don't know about you, but I wake up instantly happy when the sun is shining through my window. Sweaty and gross and disheveled, but happy!

I also love not working Saturdays! For a while I was rostered on at work pretty much every Saturday, and it suuuuuccckkkkkeddd. Especially when it had been rainy and gloomy all week, but then decided to be sunny and glorious and perfect on the one day I had to work. Stupid weather, (usually) mocking me. Not this weekend though! This weekend was sunny and glorious and perfect and mine!

& what better way to spend such a beautiful day than strolling around Glebe markets, ice-cold fresh sugar cane drink in hand, with one of your besties? I freaking love that place - makes me feel like one of the cool kids! Amazing vintage finds, unique artsy-hand-made-stuff, and dirt cheap new pieces from other people's wardrobes - not to mention the people, the food, the music, and the all round good vibes. And don't even get me started on the cute little cafes and hang out spots that surround it!

I had a particularly good shopping day (you know the finds are good when you're willing to walk 10 minutes to find an ATM to get more money out, despite having already withdrawn money before getting there). While I've never had a bad shopping day at Glebe markets, I only usually pick up maybe 3 or 4 items at most. I ended yesterday with 3 belts, 2 necklaces, 1 cuff, 1 necklace/bracelet in one, 1 pair of clip on earrings, 1 top, 1 dress, 1 pair of overalls, 1 shrug, 1 maxi skirt, and a cute pair of shoe clips.

Let me expand. First of all, I've got to mention that my biggest obsessions this season have been:

1) Cut outs: I've got at least 8 pairs of cutout shoes, and numerous dresses and jackets with cut out detailing. I'm coo-coo for cut outs!

2) Chunky accessories: rings, earrings, necklaces, bangles, cuffs - I never leave home without at least a few pieces on - I feel naked without them!

3) High waist belts: okay so this one's nothing new, but my love affair with high waist belts (especially in black, tan or gold) is still going strong. Perfect way to tie up any outfit!

4) Oversized bags: hanging off the elbow - so chic. Love love love!

This lot of stuff that I picked up yesterday, it ticked ALL the right boxes...

Cut outs: I fell in love with these amazing leather cutout pieces as soon as I saw them! The lady who was selling them hand made them...I wanted to buy EVERYTHING at that stall but, alas, at a minimum price of $30, I had to settle for this beautiful gold-foil cuff ($35), and silver feather cutout necklace ($30). I rationalize my decision by telling myself that: 1) they're made of genuine leather; 2) I'm obsessed with accessories, so I'll surely get loads of wear out of them; 3) I've never seen anything like them before - not many people would have them and I wouldn't be able to get them anywhere else!

Chunky accessories: tribal-style chunky necklace (only $5!), amazing turquoise&gold vintage clip on earrings (also only $5!) & an amazingly unique wire snake bracelet/bangle (which can also unwind & be worn as a necklace/anklet/hairpiece...the possibilities are endless! - $12)




High waist belts: these belts lifted my already soaring spirits - beautiful, unique pieces at absolutely ridiculous prices! I grabbed the dark brown almost medieval style belt, and the tan embossed Oroton belt (both genuine leather) from some girls who were having a wardrobe clean out, for an insane $5 each! They had so much nice stuff at that stall - had they attempted to sell their items on ebay they would have surely made heaps more - they were practically giving their stuff away! Although the belts are a tad looser than I'd normally like, a little DIY work should have them fitting right.
The third is this amazing gold metal embellished high waist belt - $9 - need I say more?


Oversized bag: pictures don't do this birkin-esque bag justice! Genuine leather, made in Italy, suede lining...the weight of it alone made it worth it! and the hidden key & lock...I was sold! The most expensive item of the day at $55...but I couldn't risk leaving it & regretting it later!


These beauties were so cute I HAD to get them even though we were on our way out! Such a cute idea...shoe clips to change the look of your shoes! They had heaps of styles but I'm such a sucker for bling. You can even use them to add some sparkle to clothes, wear them in your hair, or wear them as a necklace! $25 well spent!


Other purchases are as follows:

Black crochet/lace top (new) $35; Ladakh summer dress (new) $10

Floral print prairie-style maxi skirt (which I'm planning to double as a strapless dress with one of my new belts) $7.50 (new with tags)

Amazing Alannah Hill silk beaded ruffle shrug $25 (from the same crazy girls I got the belts from - why would you let this go for only $25?!!)


And finally, overalls...which I think are cool but will probably never wear for fear of being laughed at. Not that that usually stops me lol. $7.50


No comments:

Post a Comment