Sunday, May 1, 2011

channelling the 70s.

I woke up on Friday morning and decided that on that particular day, I'd be going for a vintage 70's look. Yes, deciding on my outfit is one of the first things I do in the morning. Sometimes, it's also the last thing I think about before I go to sleep, even when I'm going nowhere fancy in particular. Sometimes, I even get back out of bed, just to see if a particular outfit I'd pieced together in my head actually works that well when it's actually on. I'm not ashamed to tell you that I often find myself up at night playing dress ups, for hours at a time. It annoys the crap out of my partner, who stays up waiting for a phone call - 'Sorry darling, I got distracted by shoes!'

Anyway, I digress. On that particular day, I was feeling that 70's vibe. You know, the type gracing the glossy pages of the magazine; plastered all over the shopbop newsletters. If you've been reading this blog for a while, then you'd know about my obsession with high waist wide leg pants as of the last few months. While I've still not found the perfect pair (besides, you know, the ones that come with the $600 pricetag), I've found a few that have been pretty close.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but a few weeks ago I came across an outfit in one of those aforementioned shopbop newsletters, where the chick was wearing amazing camel high waist wide legs over a gorgeous, white, feminine blouse. She had a tan belt knotted over her waist, and wore her hair soft and flowing (I tried to find that particular picture, but it seems to have gotten lost in the abyss that is my inbox. I didn't even take note of the designers. I know, I suck). Anyway, the point is, I fell in love. But I knew there was no way in hell I was going to be able to afford that particular outfit, and still be able to eat for the next few weeks. I wish I could show it to you - it was really quite breathtaking. The closest picture I've been able to find to it is Olivia Palermo at the Mango Spring/Summer 2011 Collection Presentation in Madrid, Spain (pictured below) but the editorial I'm remembering was much more dreamlike - whimsical, yet strangely, somehow demure at the same time. The point is, it inspired me. And I set out on a mission to emulate that look, only on a much more affordable scale. I was pretty happy with the result, I must say.

Olivia Palermo at the Mango Spring/Summer 2011 Collection Presentation

Bardot blouse ($20 down from $80); Camel trousers (a bargain $4.95!); Belt (stolen from my sister's wardrobe); vintage leather bag ($55 from Glebe Markets); Tony Bianco for Wanted wedges ($60 down from $200); Rubi double ring ($2 down from $13); Cotton on Sunnies ($2 down from $20).

Okay so I cheated a little with the belt being my sister's. I found the pants accidentally, in a temporary shop selling mostly junk in Market City. They weren't exactly what I was looking for, and I wasn't completely sure that I wanted them, but I figured for $4.95 it didn't matter so much. Luckily that I made that decision, because I once I ironed the crease in myself, I LOVED them!

That wasn't the outfit I originally started blogging about by the way. This is what I wore on Friday - a little bit of my twist on the same general look...


Top ($10 from @topshop); Verge vintage style trousers ($50 down from $290); Vintage bag ($4 from St Vinnies); Temt Cuff ($4 down from $20); Temt necklace ($4 from $20); Rubi Sunnies ($2 from $20); Tony Bianco for Wanted wedges ($60 from $200); Lovisa ring ($7)

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. The pants are siiiiick! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I have no idea how I didn't see this comment until now, but thanks lovely! I absolutely adore the pants (& the white top) myself - and such a bargain! I must admit though, I cringe a little at my posing every time I look at the pictures on my blog haha

    ReplyDelete