Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I am a shoppaholic.

Monday:
So there I was in my bathroom, getting myself ready for - but dreading- the day ahead. Black harems, military boots and a khaki top would have to do it for today - a long night of cramming for a mid semester exam had left me tired and lazy. Quick mirror check: I think better of it and throw on some chunky accessories - tired and lazy are no match for stylish and, for lack of a better word, vain.

And then from the background noise (Kyle & Jackie O) I hear it...did that lady just say something about...shopping?! I'm suddenly alert my eyes widen as if for some reason that would help me to hear the lady on the radio better - damn my slow/inappropriate reactions. Apparently Westfield is looking for an Insider: a savvy shopper who knows how to get on trend looks, on a budget. Apparently the good people at Westfield are looking for me.

Never have I believed that a role was more perfect for me - I mean, paid to go shopping?
Anyone who knows me knows that if shopping were a sport, I'd be a world class athlete - and the thrill of finding a bargain would be my performance enhancing drug of choice.

Applications don't close until the October 1st, but of course I can't get it off my mind. Sorry medical & applied physiology, several hours of cramming for you just got wiped out by the prospect of actually earning money while buying that pair of Tony Bianco's I fell in love with the other day.

I spend the next two days getting a CV, 300-word response, photo & video together. Not my best work, but pretty decent, and the best I can do considering my increasing anxiety about applying in time to get an interview slot in Sydney. My heart sinks: I'm rostered on to work all day Tuesday, the day of the interviews. Poos. But wait - I read on & discover that all's not lost! They're being held at Livepool Westfields (where I work!) & it'd be a piece of cake getting the morning off. Seriously, did I NEED any more proof that the job was made for me? I submit my application and eagerly keep checking the website for updates.

Thursday:

Lace dress ($20, Dotti), black cut-out high waist belt ($10, Glassons), black tights ($15, Forcast), silver flats ($4, from NZ), red leather jacket ($150, Wrangler).

Checking out the competition, and its fierce! The guys and girls that are feaured on the Westfield website so far are intimidatingly cool, & genetically blessed. My application's still not up. Sad face.

Friday:
Grey romper ($20, ValleyGirl), tan belt ($6, Dotti), black singlet ($10, ValleyGirl), taupe sandals ($55, Betts), black quilted bag ($30, SES).








I'm finally dressed after two hours of trying outfits on, checking them out in the mirror, disapproving, and flinging them off (my bedroom & bathroom are messes yet again). I check my phone & I've received a missed call from an unknown number. I check my voicemail and almost die in excitement: Corrine from Westfields wants to know if I'd be interested in participating in an A Current Affair's piece that they'd be filming before the interviews on Tuesday. It takes me two hours to get back through to her, but I finally get a hold of her & tell her I'd be absolutely thrilled to be a part of it! I'm beaming for the rest of the day.

Rose from PR emails be the brief for the Westfield Fashion Insider Challenge that arvo - me & two other girls are to be given $200 to create an outfit (including shoes & accessories) that covers one of this season's trends: the maxi dress (or skirt), nautical, military, nudes & pastels, the blazer, the romper, coloured denim, or the techno (digital print) dress. Sounds like my sort of thing!

Saturday:
Blue paisely print maxi dress ($18, some random shop in Liverpool), tan high waist belt ($7.50, Supre), flat sandals ($44, Betts), oversized flower ring ($20, Forever New), lightwash denim jacket ($20, Supre).





My boss approves my request for the morning off on Tuesday. I spend that night at a friends 21st, telling anyone & everyone about the Westfield Insider gig & that I'm gonna be on tv. Hells to the yayyer.


Monday:

Black romper ($10, Forever New), oversized flower ring ($7, Forever 21), flat sandals ($44, Betts), vintage bag ($2, Vinnies), Sunnies ($10, markets)






I become increasingly nervous about interviews & the Fashion Challenge - especially because I find out that we're only getting 20 minutes to complete the challenge. I reaaaalllyyy don't want to choke or look stupid on camera/in front of all those important people. Knowing me I'll come off as the biggest bimbo. It takes me ages to fall asleep that night, I toss and turn for hours - the damn butterflies won't let me sleep.

Tuesday:
Floral maxi ($45, Forever New), gold belt ($1, Just Jeans), denim vest ($40, Forever New), oversized floral ring ($20, Forever New), flat sandals ($44, Betts), vintage bag ($2, Vinnies)... no photos, but check out the aca video :)

The. Big. Day. We spend the morning filming for the ACA story - it's so much fun & everyone's incredibly nice & friendly! The other two girls are gorgeous & really know their stuff (one works for Women's Day, and the other's been blogging for over a year - and her blog is just a-mazing). I make a mental note to catch up to them - perhaps I should start blogging again...

The Challenge is over before I've had a chance to even take a breath (and by the end I'm dripping sweat - very attractive), and we model our new outfits in front of fashion royalty, STYD editor Justine Cullen, and social commentator Melissa Hoyer. We all have very different takes on the maxi dress - I love them all! No winner is announced but come on - $200 worth of free clothes/shoes/accessories?? It sounds to me like we ALL won!






Black embellished maxi ($45, Candy & lace), strappy clog-style heels ($60, Rubi), Ring, bangles & bag ($7 all together, Gloss Clearance Store), nude blazer with lace detail ($40, Sweet Acacia from MA Runway), sunnies ($13, Cotton On).

I rush back to work/reality after interviews, and the thought of being able to see myself on telly that night gives me the energy to push through the day.

I'm ecstatic with the end product, and I appreciate what a clown I looked like on the show, tripping over shoes that were still tied together. Sigh, it wouldn't be me without at least some sort of clutzy mishap. Oooh- here come the text messages & fb posts; I'm gonna enjoy it while I can & stretch these 15 minutes as far as I can!


Thanks to Westfields, their PR team, the ACA team, the judges, & those awesome girls and guys who inspired me to get back on the blogosphere today :)

xx Vinnie



1 comment:

  1. Good luck in your application. Just to let you know that I've linked to your blog under the page "Insider Entries". I've also linked to your blog under a post called. "A Current Fashion Affair"

    Please let me know if you want me to change anything.

    ReplyDelete